Thunder Roars in Elmira

by Mike Basile

    The Delaware Thunder came to Elmira looking for their first back to back wins of the season. After the Christmas break, the Thunder schedule got very busy... three games in three nights busy. It started in Elmira with the big question of how will the team get going after a short break.

    The first period started out with both teams getting a few scoring chances each way. Brendan Hussey opened the scoring at the 6:48 mark in the first. An odd man break for Elmira ended up with the puck in the back of the net and a 1-0 lead for Elmira. Brennan Young tied things up for Delaware just as a power-play expired on a great feed from Jack Weng.  Elmira added a goal late in the period when Ahmed Mahfouz banged in a rebound on the doorstep. After one period of play, Elmira led 2-1. Aaron Taylor stopped 15 of 17 shots and Troy Passingham stopped 13 of 15.

   In the second period, the scoring broke open. Just like the first, Elmira opened the scoring. Brandon Tucker snuck through on a breakaway and buried a backhand under Aaron Taylor. The Delaware Thunder would score the next three goals and take the lead. Ryan Marker and Patrik Tondol would score 29 seconds apart to tie the game up at 3. Later in the period, Delaware would take the lead on a power-play goal. Anton Kalinin tapped in a loose puck on the doorstep to give Delaware their first lead of the night. The Enforcers got things tied back up on the power-play later that period. Glen Patterson scored on a deflection and the game was all tied up headed to the 3rd.

   Both teams stepped up defensively in the third, and the first 8 minutes were played sound. Delaware was able to crack through Elmira's defense when Ryan Marker got free on a breakaway and scored over Passingham. Aaron Taylor stood on his head the rest of the way, and Marker added a power-play goal which would be his third of the night. The Thunder are back in action tonight in Watertown, and then back home Saturday. We will see you at The Thunderdome.